• Fri. Feb 23rd, 2024

Israel’s Gaza Strikes Kill 22, Injure Dozens and Strand Millions in Danger.

ByEditor

Feb 12, 2024
22 killed in Israeli airstrike on Rafah refugee camp, say local health officials

On Monday, Israeli strikes on Gaza’s southern city of Rafah resulted in the deaths of 22 people and injuries to dozens, according to local health officials. This came after U.S. President Joe Biden urged Israel not to attack Rafah without a credible plan to protect civilians. Residents contacted by Reuters reported that heavy bombing caused widespread panic in Rafah as many people were asleep when the strikes began.

The Israeli military announced that it had conducted a “series of strikes” on southern Gaza but did not provide further details. In the past, Israel’s military has ordered civilians to leave without preparing any specific evacuation plans before launching assaults on Gaza cities.

Biden spoke with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday and told him not to launch a military operation in Rafah without a credible plan to ensure the safety of the approximately 1 million people sheltering there. Aid agencies warned that an assault on Rafah would be catastrophic as it is the last relatively safe place in an enclave devastated by Israel’s military offensive.

Biden and Netanyahu spoke for about 45 minutes, days after Biden said Israel’s military response in the Gaza Strip had been “over the top” and expressed grave concern over the rising civilian death toll in the Palestinian enclave. The Hamas-run health ministry reported that Israel had responded with a military assault on the Gaza Strip that had killed more than 28,000 Palestinians.

Hamas militants killed 1,200 people in southern Israel and abducted at least 250 during their October 7 incursion, according to Israeli tallies. Hamas-run Aqsa Television quoted a senior Hamas leader as saying that any Israeli ground offensive in Rafah would “blow up” hostage-exchange negotiations.

Leave a Reply